Monday, 23 April 2012

Certified Medical Marvel

I haven't posted for awhile, reason for that to follow as well as reason for today's title, but first things first. I logged on yesterday and was really disappointed to see the new blogger interface. I don't like it and I don't like change. The old interface was far more user friendly. The old saying - if it ain't broke don't fix it applies here. I feel the same about the new Facebook, although I don't go on Facebook much, I don't like it and far prefer the original Facebook and it is just getting worse and worse after each tweak or upgrade. Now I feel the same about the new blogger interface, it was far better before this latest change. I guess all to their own and it is no use complaining or stressing over something I have no control over, so I will just grin and bear it and hope that I get used to it, long before the next change.

When I last posted about the April Holidays, I mentioned that I had a very sore arm and neck. That day it started to feel better in the afternoon, I hadn't finished my post and left it to cook, eat, watch TV and do whatever else I do at night, then went back and did the slide show and by the time I finished the post, my arm was aching. The next morning it was really sore and as the day progressed it just got worse and worse. I spent most of the day holding it up behind my neck in a strange position, because it hurt less then or walked all hunched up. At one stage during the day, Phineas asked if I was very cold, because I was all hunched up. I went for physio in the afternoon and the more she worked on me the worse it felt and there was no relief in my arm. I did not know what to do with it, hold it up, hang it down, across my body, under my body. She even put acupuncture needles in my shoulder blades. She said that I have an entrapped nerve, which is why my arm is in pain. My fingers were also aching. I was there for over an hour and eventually said it felt better, just to get out of there and go home. She strapped up all my muscles in my arm, neck and shoulder. I was hoping that it would be better the next morning. I have had far worse pain and for most of the time I played down the pain, because it was nothing in comparison to the pain I had when I had the abscess in my tooth and jaw and almost had a tracheotomy, but it was sore and so uncomfortable. I also feel so guilty whenever I whinge and whine about having pain, because of what Clint went through and was not even given a panado, until he went to Theatre, three and a half hours later, I always feel like such a baby and hypochondriac, because he must have been in so much pain. For a very long time I suppressed all pain and aches, because I couldn't deal with it, but lately it seems that those years of trying not to feel pain has just now let rip and is coming out in full force, including the pain of Clint's death.

When I got home from physio, I lay down for a bit and in hindsight it was really stupid of me to decide on skipping a doctor's visit and go straight for physio, in other words, diagnose and treat myself. Before Clint died, I hardly ever went to the doctor and always self medicated or just healed, I was never really ever sick enough to go to the doctor. I try and do it now, but it just gets worse. I had no anti-inflammatory medication and the only pain tablets we had were panado. I decided to make macaroni and cheese with bacon for supper, because it is quick and easy. Chad was so sweet, he said he would make dinner, I must just tell him what to do. It took much longer than if I had made it myself, but at least he tried. I ended up making the white sauce and forgot to season it, so it was very bland, but over all he did a pretty good job for the first time cooking.

Chad's Mac & Cheese
 The arm and neck just got worse as the night progressed. I tried an ice pack, then heat and nothing helped. My arm starting going lame and I spent the night sitting up in the lounge, not wanting to disturb Mark, because I just did not know what to do with my arm, no matter how I lay, it hurt and was uncomfortable. The lounge seems to be my sanctuary for when I am in pain and can't sleep, my comfort zone, just like in this  post. It really worries me that the doctor who operated on my jaw did something wrong and it has caused this problem. I dozed on and off, but for most of the night, I moved my arm into every position I could think of, but with no relief. I must have fallen asleep at about four and when my alarm went off at 4:45, I was exhausted and my arm was like a jelly fish, it had a mind of it's own and I could do nothing with it, it was so scary. My three fingers were numb, middle, ring and pinky finger. I dragged myself to the kitchen, made coffee, then went and lay in the lounge until Mark woke up and told him that I did not think I would be able to drive. He said he would take Chad to school and that I had to go to the doctor. I fell asleep when they left, woke up to let Sheila in and slept until Mark phoned to find out if I had made an appointment with the doctor. It was 8am and she only starts consulting at 9. I made an appointment for 11 and Mark took me. She said I must stop physio, gave me loads of pills, Valium included and said I had to go back on Monday and if there was no improvement, then she would refer me to a specialist for an MRI scan, she also said it was an entrapped nerve. I spent most of the weekend in bed, resting my neck and arm and using ice and heat, because I needed it better by Monday morning. I went to fetch Chad from school on Friday afternoon, because I felt a bit better after taking the pills and it is not far and there was no traffic and Mark was going down to Ballito. Oh my word, was I wrong, it was so difficult to drive and as hard as this is to believe, just like my Unlucky Friday the 10th and it WAS Friday, the 13th, my car battery went flat again at the school. I waited for Chad for not even 5 minutes with the radio on, but not the lights on. Luckily, we just let the car roll back, without Chad having to push and it started, but really jolted my neck. Oh and our kitchen drain blocked up completely again, just like my Unlucky Friday the 10th. I got Rabie to try and unblock it like Mark did, but it was just not working, so I left it, we just drained the water out when we loosened the pipes and I told Sheila not to use it. Mark only left for Ballito at 5pm, Dean went with him, he had to take a beach buggy down and wanted to leave at 3pm, but I messed up his plans and felt really guilty and bad that he had to leave so late. He said it was OK and I shouldn't worry. He arrived at 12h30 and sent a message to say that he had arrived safely. I told him to phone or text every time they stopped so that I knew he was OK and that I wouldn't switch off my phone. I was awake every time he sent a message. The Valium did not even help me to sleep. I was too sore and uncomfortable to sleep properly.

On Saturday, we had to go to the shops to get something to eat, because I did not feel like cooking and did not have cash on me to order pizza, plus we needed milk, we just went up the road and again my battery was flat and poor Chad had to push me again. He stayed in the car, whilst I went into the shops so that we did not have to switch off the car. Mark came back on Saturday and arrived at about 8pm. It was crazy, going down to Ballito and then straight back, but I was glad that he did come home, because my battery was flat again when I moved my car so that he could park his. I could have used the land-rover if we were really stuck, but driving it with a stiff neck and floppy arm would have been very difficult.

On Sunday, Mark and Chad fixed the drain. Instead of digging up the whole floor, he connected it to another outlet and now we have a functioning drain and he fitted a new battery to my car on Monday.

Chad & Mark Fixing The Drain

Drilling A Hole For The Drain

Connecting The Pipes

On Monday morning, my arm was a bit better, but Mark took Chad to school so that I did not have to drive in the traffic and he said I must stay at home, because it was not that busy at work. He took me to the doctor later that day and she checked my reflexes and the numbness in my three fingers was gone, but my thumb and forefinger felt weird. She said that I must go for physio one more time then leave it for three days and then if it is still not better then go for an MRI and to a specialist. It is still not better all my pills are finished and last night I had such a bad night, hardly sleeping, because I don't know what to do with my arm. I decided to try my Hawkins machine on it. I have a Hawkins Digital Compuslim 75 Pro and it has a Tens program, I put it on for 45 minutes and it seemed to have helped, but it is starting to hurt again now, I will do it again before I go to bed. It definitely did work, because I did so much today, that I would never have been able to do yesterday. Mark bathed the dogs this morning, they have not been bathed for such a long time. First we all went to Ballito, then Mark went on his own and I just can't bath spike anymore, then my arm and neck and and and........ excuses excuses, so he bathed them today, I went on the Hawkins Machine, then I washed the bird's cage, which is a mission to clean & wash, then washed all their bowls, cleaned out the kennels, not that they use them, but still, washed their blankets, at least they get washed every week, that is easy, the bathing is what is hard. So I had a very busy day of animals.

Hawkins Digital Compuslim 75 Pro

Compuslim Pads

I am so tired of being sick with some sort of ailment and am definitely now a Medical Marvel, well I am sure that is what everyone thinks and I don't blame them. Lets hope that the Tens Machine works, because I am not going to another specialist.

And to end my busy day, I had a big bowl of the best Ice Cream ever, Nestle Vanilla Ice Cream with Bar One Sauce - Yummy and updated my blog - it has taken two hours or more to do this post.

Vanilla & Bar One Sauce Ice Cream

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always Welcome

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...